Traveling is fun right? But what can worry you is how you will manage your meals while you are out there traveling and experiencing the world. Also, there are a few people whose job itself is to keep traveling. For instance, truck drivers. Truck drivers are the ones who get your packages and orders delivered, they help in carrying the freight across borders and to different places where they are told to. Being a truck driver is not at all an easy job. Staying awake whole night sometimes, driving irrespective of the weather conditions, and that too on time. Might sound easy but it is not. The main issue they face is arranging for their meals. Some of the truck drivers carry their own lunch boxes, some stop by a restaurant or a motel, while there are a few who arrange their meals in their truck itself. If arranging meals in the truck itself sounds impossible to you then, you are forgetting about those amazing appliances known as, electric skillets. Yes, one can use an electric skillet in his/her truck to cook a meal for himself/herself. One just needs to have the best electric skillet!
What an Electric Skillet is?
An electric skillet is a cooking pan meant for frying, heating, and preparing food or meals. Since they are driven by electricity, they need to be plugged into a power socket. It usually has high walls that give you better control over flipping the food inside as well as it prevents the food from coming out of the pan, making a mess. It can also work as an electric griddle at times. The only difference is, an electric griddle has no walls or walls with low height while an electric skillet has comparatively higher walls. An electric skillet also provides you with temperature control that helps you to set the temperature as is required by your recipe. It is versatile and you can use this appliance for a variety of foods. You can use some skillet models for roasting, frying, grilling, baking, making casseroles, etc depending upon the features your skillet model supports.
What is a Tractor Trailer?
You might have seen those big vehicles with 18 wheels carrying freight and cargo from one place to another. They are known as tractor-trailers. There are also semi-tractor trailers. Semi-tractor trailers have a complete and similar truck driving unit in the front while at the back it is open to let the freight be loaded. Now the question is, can an electric skillet be used by you to cook meals in these tractor-trailers or semi-tractor trailers? Let’s look for the answer.
Using an Electric Skillet in a Tractor Trailer
If you have the best electric skillet in the market with you in your tractor-trailer, you need not worry about preparing your meal. Electric skillets are handy and portable thus, they can be easily carried anywhere. Also, if you use them in your tractor trailer you get the advantage of eating something of your own choice and because the food is cooked by you for yourself so, there is no chance of eating unhealthy or contaminated food like that of a restaurant. It gives you the liberty to prepare your food according to your nutritional requirements. Imagine yourself been told by a doctor to stay away from too much oil or grease and being compelled to eat at a restaurant because of your job. Unfortunate right? After all, health is wealth. If you will not be able to keep your health intact and stay safe, how would you earn for your living? Health should always be a priority. Therefore, cook for yourself, protect yourself.
By now you must have understood that you can use an electric skillet in your tractor-trailer and you will be facing absolutely no health issues. So what are you waiting for? Go to the market today and wherever you see electric skillets for sale, just grab one for yourself and enjoy cooking at the comfort of your tractor-trailer. But as you know, you should do proper research before buying any appliance because everyone has a different need, their requirements are different, and thus, what is good for others might not be good for you. So, before buying an electric skillet for your tractor-trailer, you must know well about the appliance. Here, are a few things which will help you decide whether such an appliance is suitable for you or not. So, read it through.
Things to Know and Keep in Mind Before Buying an Electric Skillet
- The shape and size – An electrical skillet comes in different shapes. It may be rounded, squared, or rectangular. Whatever the shape, it usually has walls. You may buy an electric skillet of any shape which serves your purpose. Just keep in mind the space available to you. If you are buying the appliance for your home kitchen, there you might have comparatively more space to keep it than the space you have in your tractor-trailer. A wrong size might not fit in the space and your purpose of buying the skillet will not be fulfilled. Reviews have shown that a large rectangular shaped skillet offers more cooking capacity than the small squared one. If you do not have many people to cook for, you can go for the smaller skillet. The place where electric skillets are usually kept by a tractor-trailer drivers are under the bunk. Make sure when you keep it there, the power cord is kept inside so that it is protected from rattling and also, the upper coating is not ruined. Also, the lid which your electric skillet has should be kept in an upright position. Doing this, you will be making sure that your cooking unit remains in place even on those bumpy roads because the lid completely fits well. So when you are planning to buy the best electric skillet, keep in mind the space you have, and the size that would be best suited for you.
- Does an electric skillet heat evenly? – Many people have this question in their minds and those who have used the appliance claim that electric skillets do heat meals evenly. But, this is something you can know about only when you use it practically on your own because when you buy it from a place claiming, electric skillets for sale, there are chances of you bringing home not the best of the models available in the market. For instance, if you ever get to come across a rectangular electric skillet do an experiment by boiling water in it, you will see that the water is boiling on the point where the heating element of the appliance is just below, and this definitely proves that at least a rectangular-shaped electric skillet unit does not provide even heating. On the other hand, if you boil water in a pot on your gas stove, it does provide even heating, and you must have seen the water boiling on all sides. On a gas stove when you boil water, you get to see bubbles in it everywhere in the pot.
- The lid of an electric skillet – Yes, this appliance has a lid that helps you see through it whatever is cooking inside while some skillets might also have lids through which you can not see inside. If you ask which one of the two is better? The answer would be the former one. The reason is, glass lids are transparent and you can see the position of your food being cooked. Some electric skillets also have a steam vent while this is not necessary for all skillets to have but they do have a small hole to let the steam pass. The hole also has a metal protective ring inserted so that it is safe and no miss-happening takes place such as someone getting burnt. Electric skillets also have a handle attached to it but you must be careful when trying to hold it because these appliances get hot very quickly not only on the inside but also on the outside including the handles, so it is advisable to wear microwave mittens when holding them so that you do not burn yourself. The disadvantage of having a lid is, you have to either hold it when you need to stir or flip the food being cooked or find a place to keep it. This might become a problem when you are using it in a tractor-trailer because, in it you already have limited space then having to find additional space to keep the lid is difficult. To overcome this problem, you can go for the model which has a lid holder attached to it. Using such a unit can save you from having to hold the lid but this feature usually comes with models that are bulky and big which you can not use in your tractor-trailer because of the space constraint.
- The coating – Almost all the cooking devices these days come with non-stick coating and this has made the cleaning process hassle-free but the problem is, nothing is permanent. Similarly, even the non-stick coating of electric skillets starts to wearing-off after some time, especially if it is not taken care of properly, and harsh detergents or scrubbers are used while cleaning. So, it is advisable to use mild soap and hot water to clean it.
Few Tips –
- Do follow the manufacturer’s instructions and read the manual thoroughly.
- Not all types of utensils are appropriate to be used with electric skillets. Make sure you use the right ones.
- Do not use metal utensils if your skillet has a non-stick coating. It will ruin the coating eventually.
- You can use nylon, melamine, or silicon utensils.
- The proper research regarding everything is necessary before buying.
- Clean the skillet unit regularly. Most preferably, after every use. This will give your appliance a longer life.